Сообщения без ответов | Активные темы Текущее время: 28 мар 2024, 22:04

Ответить на тему  [ Сообщений: 7 ] 
 Demul v0.7a230915-Geometry Popup Glitch with Widescreen Hack 
Автор Сообщение
Сообщение 26 окт 2015, 22:24

Many Dreamcast games are recently found to be able to run in a proper (not stretched) Widescreen display mode instead of the default Letterbox mode, a new hack has been recently discovered to be applied to various Dreamcast games to allow them to run in Widescreen mode on modern displays.
This new hack can be applied using tools like CodeBreaker on actual Dreamcast hardware and it works perfect.
Trying the same code when using the latest build of Demul also works, however, there's a strange glitch that seems to be triggered when applying this hack. Geometry starts to popup/disappear from the edges of the screen with camera movement. I made a quick demo of this glitch with Shenmue [EU] version :

I think this glitch could be related to emulation since it does not exist when applying the hack on actual Dreamcast hardware.

To manually test and reproduce the glitch, I made a small Cheat Engine file that can be used with Demul to enable/disable Widescreen mode on any version of Shenmue :

• Download the latest version of Cheat Engine from this link.
  • Download Demul Cheat Engine file from this link.
  • Run Demul and make sure 16:9 is selected in Config-Video-Aspect Ratio, load a Shenmue game.
  • Run the Cheat Engine file and make sure Demul process is selected.
  • Select Widescreen mode for the related Shenmue version to enable the hack, notice the game is now displayed in proper widescreen aspect ratio.
  • Move the camera and notice the geometry popup glitch on the edges of the screen.

It would be great if this glich can be fixed in an upcoming build of Demul in order to match the actual hardware even more accurately.

Сообщение 27 окт 2015, 00:17

masterchan777 писал(а):
This new hack can be applied using tools like CodeBreaker on actual Dreamcast hardware and it works perfect.

as I see in other video comments - people says the same artifacts happens on real Dreamcast as well, and its because games works this way.

so the main question is: do you telling truth or lying and just wasting our time ?

-- 26 окт 2015, 22:46 --

ok, here is the source of this hacks http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/wid ... cks.58620/

Цитата:
There's still some pop-in occasionally near the edges of the screen, but it's not as bad as when you use an emulator to extend the visible area. That could probably be fixed with deeper analysis into how it decides when something goes out of range.

so, as I was supposed, you are lying and the same pop-in glitches happens on real DC as well.

Сообщение 27 окт 2015, 01:59

I have been told that applying the widescreen hack on real Dreamcast hardware results "significantly" less pop-ins in comparison to emulation. I haven't verified that myself and I trusted those who did, you can check out the following videos running on real hardware:

I thought this issue is worth looking at, and maybe it could be resolved and improved in a future release. That's all what I asked for.
What I don't understand is why did you assume I'd lie about this and make the whole thing up when I only asked to look at the glitch and maybe consider improving on it in an upcoming release ... if you think the whole thing is a waste of time then you could simply ignore it and delete the whole thread, simple as.

anyways, thanks for your time.

Сообщение 27 окт 2015, 16:05

masterchan777 писал(а):
What I don't understand is why did you assume I'd lie about this and make the whole thing up when I only asked to look at the glitch and maybe consider improving on it in an upcoming release ...

because of this
Цитата:

and this
Цитата:
I think this glitch could be related to emulation since it does not exist when applying the hack on actual Dreamcast hardware.
both is not true.
sorry, but I'm sick and bored alredy to play "House MD" aka "everybody lies" games.

anyway, here is nothing emulation-related, but authors of such hacks must find out and modify at least one more thing - frustum culling planes calculations (or whatever else geometry culling method used by this game)

Сообщение 27 окт 2015, 17:24

Thanks for your reply again,
It was indeed my incorrect assumption, but again I don't have to "lie" about anything here, it was something I thought it "could" be looked at and maybe improved upon in the future, nothing more nothing less. What I meant by the hack works perfect on real Dreamcast hardware was that the hack doesn't crash the game or freeze it etc ...
Usually emulating older game consoles goes far beyond the original hardware capabilities especially in terms of visual improvements with modern PCs that are much more powerful. That's why I wanted to highlight this issue and thought it "could" be worked on in the future.

Thanks again and sorry for any misunderstanding.

Сообщение 27 окт 2015, 22:02

well, we have different goals, I want to have as much as possible close to original Dreamcast (and other systems) emulation.

you just want to play Shenmue games with as much as possible better looking visuals.
I've read some news recently, saying Sega goes to make ports/remakes of Shenmue games, so if this true you are probably lose interest to DC emulation at all ;)

Сообщение 27 окт 2015, 23:21

You've done a fantastic work with Demul and it actually is THE most accurate emulator to date, that's something that you should be proud of and I really appreciate your hard work. And yes you're right I'd always love to have a better Shenmue experience but that's not my only goal with Dreamcast emulation. The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time when released and I had great memories playing games on it, yes Shenmue is my favourite Sega series of all time, but even if a remade/remastered version gets eventually released on modern consoles, the Dreamcast originals will always be very special to me and I will never lose interest in Dreamcast emulation.

Ответить на тему   [ Сообщений: 7 ]